News/ Health

Brain-eating amoeba deaths on rise in USA



Brain-eating amoeba detected in waters of Wyoming's Grand Teton National Park.

After a brain-eating amoeba was detected in Grand Teton National Park in Wyoming, people have been steering clear of the water.

The amoeba, called Naegleria fowleri, can destroy brain tissue and lead to death.

"Naegleria fowleri, if it gets into the nasal passages, can cause primary amoebic meningitis, which can be fatal," said Sue Consolo-Murphy, Chief of Science and Resource Management.

United States Geological Survey researchers have also found the amoeba in streams and pools near to Kelly Warm Spring and in Huckleberry Hot Springs and Polecat Springs in the John D. Rockefeller Parkway between Grand Teton National Park, and Yellowstone National Park. Wading or swimming is not allowed in those springs.

South Carolina girl dies after contracting brain-eating amoeba in river

A South Carolina girl died Friday after contracting a brain-eating amoeba infection while swimming in a river, according to health officials.

Hannah Collins, 11, died on Friday August 12, just days after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed she contracted Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis, known as PAM, which is a severe brain infection caused by an amoeba called Naegleria fowleri, according to the Beaufort Gazette.

Hannah, who was not named in the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control statement, was likely exposed to the organism on July 24 while swimming in the Edisto River in Charleston County.

Brain-Eating Amoeba Case Reported in Florida

Here's some news straight from your nightmares: a person in South Florida has been hospitalized after contracting a brain-eating amoeba.

The details are still unclear, but CBS News reports a person contracted the Naegleria fowleri, more commonly called the brain-eating amoeba, while swimming in Florida. Officials haven't said where the person was swimming, or revealed their age, gender or hometown, but they did confirm the diagnosis.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, the Naegleria fowleri amoeba can cause primary amebic meningoencephalitis, a terrifying and almost-always deadly infection of the brain. It's primarily found in warm, fresh water and it causes the infection after entering the body through the nose. Symptoms of primary amebic meningoencephalitis come in stages, starting with headache, fever and nausea, and progressing to seizures, hallucinations, coma and eventually death.

This is not the only recent case of brain-eating amoeba reported in the U.S. Ohio teenager Lauren Seitz contracted the amoeba while she was whitewater rafting in North Carolina in June, just after she had graduated high school.